Huffy - Defective Handlebars

I purchased a beautiful aqua Huffy 3 speed womans cruiser bicycle 2 weeks ago from Wal-Mart - everything seemed to work smoothly until this morning.I went on my morning ride in my neighborhood, and while I was going downhill I noticed a slight movement in the handlebars - then suddenly the handlebars came lose and collapsed, making the bicycle totally uncontrollable.

Lucky that it was early in the a.m., no traffic - I started to fall on the road but leaned very hard to the right so I would land in the marshy area. There was no warning that this was about to happen. I inspected the handlebar - which was secured with 2 allen-type screws - apparently one had loosened, making the handlebars pitch forward. One of the photos I've attached is the metal shavings that were under the clamp nut.

I walked the bike home 2 miles, got out my camera and took pictures.

I have a 3 year contract, but will be taking this bike back for a refund - tightening the screws will only be a temporary fix. This is a bicycle that I see alot of children and older people in the coastal area of North Carolina ride. It's a bit terrifying that this can happen, without warning.

Lucky that I was strong enough to force the bike to fall in a better direction than the asphalt - or in front of a car.This is a very dangerous design that needs to be looked into before more people are injured.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

• What I liked
    • Beautiful retro design
    • Great colors
    • Decent price
  • What I disliked
    • Potential rolling death trap
    • Handlebars that collapse without notice
    • Complete loss of control of bicycle

Reason of review:
Bad quality
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Product or service
Beach Cruiser
Review category
Auctions and Internet Stores
review #859375

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Huffy? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.